- Tahlka News Bureau
- Diabetes, also called diabetes mellitus, has become very common health problem. There are two types of diabetes-type 1 diabetes in which the body does not produce insulin and type 2 diabetes in which the body does not produce enough insulin or the insulin that is produced does not work properly.
- Some of the common symptoms of diabetes include fatigue, weight loss (even though you are eating more), excessive thirst, increased urination, cut and bruises that are slow to heal and blurred vision.
- There is no cure for diabetes but with your blood sugar level in control you can live a totally normal life. There are various natural remedies for diabetes that will help you control your blood sugar level.
- Here is the list of some home remedies for diabetes:
- 1. Bitter Gourd
- Bitter gourd, also known as bitter melon, can be helpful for controlling diabetes due to its blood glucose lowering effects. It helps increase pancreatic insulin secretion and prevents insulin resistance. It cannot be used to entirely replace insulin treatment.
- Drink some bitter gourd juice on an empty stomach each morning. First remove the seeds of two to three bitter gourds and use a juicer to extract the juice. Add some water and then drink it. Follow this treatment daily in the morning for at least two months.
Powdered cinnamon has the ability to lower blood sugar levels by stimulating insulin activity. It contains bioactive components that can help prevent and fight diabetes.
- Mix one-half to one teaspoon of cinnamon in a cup of warm water. Drink it daily.
- Another option is to boil two to four cinnamon sticks in one cup of water and allow it to steep for 20 minutes. Drink this solution daily until you see improvement.
Fenugreek is an herb that can be used to control diabetes, improves glucose tolerance and lower blood sugar levels due to its hypoglycemic activity. Being high in fiber, it slows down the absorption of carbohydrates and sugars.
- Soak two tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in water overnight. Drink the water along with the seeds in the morning on an empty stomach. Follow this remedy without fail for a few months to bring down your glucose level.
- Another option is to eat two tablespoons of powdered fenugreek seeds daily with milk.
4. Indian Gooseberry (Amla)
Indian gooseberry, also known as Amla, is rich in vitamin C and Indian gooseberry juice promotes proper functioning of your pancreas.
- Take two to three Indian gooseberries, remove the seeds and grind it into a fine paste. Put the paste in a cloth and squeeze out the juice. Mix two tablespoon of the juice in one cup of water and drink it daily on an empty stomach.
- Alternatively, mix one tablespoon of Indian gooseberry juice in a cup of bitter gourd juice and drink it daily for a few months.
5. Black Plum or Indian Black Berry (Jamun)
Black plum or jumbul, also known as jamun can help a lot in controlling blood sugar level because it contains anthocyanins, ellagic acid, hydrolysable tannins etc. Each part of Jamun plant such as leaves, berry and its seed can be used by those suffering from diabetes.
The seeds in particular, contain glycoside ajmboline and alkaloid jambosine that regulate control blood sugar levels.
6. Mango leaves
The delicate and tender mango leaves can be used to treat diabetes by regulating insulin levels in the blood. They can also help improve blood lipid profiles.
- Soak 10 to 15 tender mango leaves in a glass of water overnight. In the morning, filter the water and drink it on an empty stomach.
- You can also dry the leaves in the shade and grind them. Eat one-half teaspoon of powdered mango leaves two times daily.
7. Curry Leaves
Curry leaves are useful in preventing and controlling diabetes as they have anti-diabetic properties. It is believed that curry leaves contain an ingredient that reduces the rate at which starch is broken down to glucose in diabetics.
You can simply chew about 10 fresh curry leaves daily in the morning. For best results, continue this treatment for three to four months. It also helps reduce high cholesterol levels and obesity.
8. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera gel helps lower fasting blood glucose levels. It contains phytosterols that have possible anti- hyperglycemic effects for type 2 diabetes.
The combination of aleovera gel, bay leaves and turmeric is helpful for controlling blood sugar. To make this herbal medicine:
- Mix together one-half teaspoon each of ground bay leaves and turmeric and one tablespoon of aloe vera gel.
- Consume it twice daily, before lunch and dinner.
- 9. Guava
Due to its vitamin C and high fiber content, eating guava can be really helpful in maintaining the blood sugar level. It is best for diabetes not to eat the skin of the fruit so peel it first.
Okra, also called lady finger, has constituents such as polyphenolic molecules that can help reduce blood glucose levels and control diabetes. A 2011 study published in the journal of Pharmacy and BioAllied sciences found okra seed and peel powder to have anti-diabetic and anti-hyperlipidemic potential.
- Cut off the ends of a few okras and prick them in several places using a fork. Soak the okras in a glass of water overnight. In the morning, discard the okras and drink the water on an empty stomach. Do this daily for several weeks. Check more about it here.