Tahlka News Bureau
New Delhi: Daily walking can benefit your health, walking on daily basis keeps your brain healthy says research.
* The affect during walking sends pressure waves through the arteries that significantly modify and can increase the supply of blood to the brain, according to the study.
* In the study, the researchers from New Mexico Highlands University used non-invasive ultrasound to measure hemispheric cerebral blood flow or CBF to both sides of the brain of 12 healthy young adults during standing upright, rest and steady walking (one metre/second).
* The researchers stated that though there is lighter foot impact associated with walking compared with running, walking still produces large pressure waves in the body that significantly increase blood flow to the brain.
* While the effects of walking on CBF were less dramatic than those caused by running, they were greater than the effects seen during cycling, which involves no foot impact at all.
* "New data now strongly suggest that brain blood flow is very dynamic and depends directly on cyclic aortic pressures that interact with retrograde pressure pulses from foot impacts," the researchers wrote.
* "There is a continum of hemodynamic effects on human brain blood flow within pedalling, walking and running. Speculatively, these activities may optimise brain perfusion, function, and overall sense of well being during exercise," the researchers said.
* To allow our brain to be intelligent, it must be constantly fed oxygen and nutrients from the blood, the researchers said.