Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh governor Ram Nayak today, ordered the closure of the judicial inquiry into the Jawahar Bhawan park violence in Mathura, which took 29 lives, including two police officials, last year during an anti-encroachment drive.
"The Governor is of the opinion that continuance of the judicial inquiry is of no use," Principal Secretary (Home) Devashish Panda said in a notification here.
He said the judicial panel headed by Justice (Retd) Mirza Imtiaz Murataza of the Allahabad High Court will submit in a sealed envelope its findings till April 1 to the government and return all facilities extended to it by April 20.
Last month, the Allahabad High Court directed the CBI to probe the incident, following which the investigating agency registered the case.
The former Akhesesh Yadav led Samajwadi government had remained opposed to a CBI inquiry into the matter, pointing out that it had set up a commission of inquiry comprising a retired judge of the High Court.
Members of the Azad Bahart Vidhik Vaicharik Satyagrahi cult, led by Ram Vriksh Yadav, had encroached on the 270-acre Jawahar Bagh, which was government land, for two years and closed with police when they tried to evict them in June last year.
Ram Vriksh Yadav too was killed in the encounter.
In 2014, the Uttar Pradesh government granted permission to Yadav's organisation to to hold a demonstration inside Jawahar Bagh for two days.
However, members of the group went to occupy the sprawling public park for more than two years.
Following a High Court order, the squatters were evicted from the park amid large-scale violence.
There were also reports that the park have been converted into a 'quasi republic' with its own currency and penal system and people there had been issued ration cards and cooking gas cylinders with Jawahar Bagh as the address.